Wednesday, December 10, 2008

More Saving Tips from the 30-Day Challenge

Tip #25: Earn more money using your God-given skills.

Basically, use the skills you have either freelancing, being a tutor, babysitting, whatever. Just DO it instead of thinking that you can't. I will try to tutor...I'm great at math and good with kids, and I like the "aha!" moments...Ramit suggests looking on Craigslist for tutors needed. I'll do that in a minute while still on lunch break!

Tip #26: Gardener? Cleaning lady? DIY instead.

We don't have any of these services...I guess the closest thing that might apply is that I sometimes get my car washed and vacuumed at one of the cheap $20 places. But that's because a) I have very little time and I'm so anal it takes me about six hours to get my car the way I want it and b) I live in Atlanta and WE CAN'T USE WATER RIGHT NOW. I may sneak and do it anyway.
OOH! I know what applies! Shaving my cat! I use a groomer! I think I might get husband to help me with that this weekend. She needs it and it's $45 bucks and I think we might be able to do it ourselves....

Tip #27: Use barriers to prevent yourself from spending money.

(i.e., remove yourself from shopping related email lists, force yourself to eat the food in the fridge before it goes bad, etc.)

I get e-mails from Overstock, Target, Banana Republic, Gap, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel...those are just the ones I can think of offhand. I don't even usually look at them, so why not just unsubscribe, period? That's a GREAT idea. Off to check my e-mail and start unsubscribing!